Like biscuits & gravy, fried chicken is a staple of southern cuisine. I don’t know that there is a valid argument otherwise, but please, correct me if I’m wrong. That crunch is E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-A-N-G!
These Spice Baked Chicken Wings give you the best of both worlds – a healthy alternative to frying and a crunch that makes you think they were fried. Sorcery!
Because of the paprika, which I am convinced only gives color to any recipe, the flour mixture and crust of the wings is a pretty copper hue. Not really a color you expect from flour. I used a smoked Spanish paprika…the smell? Heavenly…
As a rule, I find it best to season the chicken itself with salt and pepper prior to coating it with the flour mixture. Some recipes for legit, grease submerged, fried chicken provide it should be placed in a brine first or submerged in buttermilk. That’s complicated and this recipe is intended to be quick and easy.
The Garlic Parmesan Dipping Sauce adds a nice cool and refreshing, easy to make addition for your wings and palette. In my “Just Say No to Condiments” post, I spoke of my disdain for all things condiments. However, with this recipe I was able to step out of my box to make this sauce. Baby steps…
I did a lot of research to find ingredients I could use that were not on my non-negotiable list, i.e., mustard, guacamole, etc. “Chance favors the prepared mind,” right?
These chicken wings and dip can be a hearty appetizer to any meal or they can be the meal themselves. Even the oven couldn’t handle the crunch and spice of these wings…smoke, smoke and more smoke billowed out from the high temperature setting. However, nothing to be alarmed about!! 🙂
Spice Baked Chicken Wings with Garlic Parmesan Dipping Sauce
Yields: 2-4 Servings
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
For the Wings:
- 1/3 Cup Flour
- 2 Tbsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 10 or more Chicken Wingettes (remove the tip) *
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 2 Tbsp Sour Cream
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
For the Wings:
- Preheat over to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. You can either liberally spray the foil on the baking sheet or evenly place cuts of butter all over the foil.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Coat all sides of the wings completely and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake wings for 20 minutes, then flip and continue baking for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crispy and fully cooked.
- Serve with Garlic Parmesan dipping sauce or your favorite sauce.
Wing Notes: This recipe covers 10 wingettes, but it can be increased proportionately for more wings. I increased the recipe by 3, because I separated the drumette from the flat. I find this method easier and the wings cook faster. Be sure to season the chicken itself with salt and pepper prior to coating with the spice flour mixture.
For the Sauce:
- While the wings are baking, in a food processor or blender, combine all sauce ingredients and process/blend to make a smooth creamy sauce.
- Remove to bowl and set aside to serve with wings.
Sauce Notes: The more Parmesan added to this recipe, the thicker the sauce. I used 3 Tbsp instead of two and it was still creamy enough for my likes. The red pepper can be increased for a spicier sauce.
Recipe for Spice Baked Chicken Wings adapted from The Cookie Rookie.
Recipe for Garlic Parmesan Dipping Sauce inspired by Chef De Home.
© 2016 Biscuits & Savvy