Southern Crispy Fried Okra is a quick, simple way to start your summer off right. A blend of corn meal and flour seasoned to perfection, coupled with egg, creates a batter for okra that makes a crunch you will not forget.
I have been hitting the jackpot lately while on my grocery store adventures. Too bad I don’t gamble, although I may need to start. I bet you this Southern Crispy Fried Okra and raise it with a nice cold one. Not how gambling works? Oh, well! I’m certain that bet will make someone jump once they see how yummy and simple this Southern Fried Okra really is to make.
Okra is slimy and can be a total turn off. I used to not care too much for it, but when my dad fried fresh okra with fresh green tomatoes out of the garden, my eyes got big. And now, I don’t make a pot of gumbo without okra.
When choosing okra to cook, try to stay away from the larger pieces, they are usually hard, dry and not good for cooking. The smaller the pieces, the better, especially for this Southern Crispy Fried Okra. I tossed a thinly sliced onion in the batter with the okra as well. Not a requirement, but a good addition.
Next time you’re in the store and hit the jackpot by finding a fabulous bunch of fresh okra, think about this recipe for Southern Crispy Fried Okra. I bet you will be a winner amongst anyone who gets to enjoy the batch. Cook a batch with my fried catfish and they too will feel like they hit the jackpot!
Southern Crispy Fried Okra
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- 2 lbs Okra
- 3/4 Cup Flour
- 3/4 Cup Corn Meal
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Eggs + 1 Tbsp Water
- Canola Oil, for frying
- Rinse okra, then trim ends and stems. Cut okra in to 1/4 inch pieces, set aside. Note: frozen, non-battered, okra can be used for this recipe; however, fresh will always be the best.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, corn meal, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder together until well combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat eggs with water.
- Heat 1/4 cup of canola oil in a skillet, preferably iron, set to medium-high.
- While oil is heating, toss okra in the corn meal batter, then dip in the egg mixture and back in the corn meal batter.
- Place coated okra on sheet pan and continue to coat remaining okra pieces. Toss a small pinch of batter in the oil to test if it’s ready.
- If ready, carefully place battered okra in the hot grease, taking care not to crowd the skillet. Cook in batches if necessary.
- Once okra is golden brown, about 3-4 minutes, using a slotted spoon, remove to a plate lined with paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and serve.
© 2017 Biscuits & Savvy
We love hearing from you! Leave a comment and let us know what you think, or if you have any questions. Responses will be made as quickly as possible.
Craving more? Subscribe to Biscuits & Savvy and be the first to receive a fresh serving of content to your inbox. And stay in touch on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram for all of the latest updates!