Doesn’t this picture just scream, “YUMMY” a thousand times? These rolls will add a pop of color to any dinner plate. These can be grilled or seared in a skillet. I served these steak rolls with a Wensleydale with Cranberry Cheese Mashed Potatoes. Enjoy!
Balsamic Glazed Steak Rolls
Yields about 8 Servings
Prep Time: 40 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
For the Steak:
- 1 1/2 – 2 lb Flank Steak/ 8-10 Pieces of Thin Sliced Sirloin
- 3 Tbsp Worcesershire sauce
- Kosher Salt, Fresh Cracked Black Pepper and Cumin, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
For The Vegetable Filling:
- 2-3 Carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Zucchini, medium, thinly sliced
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- Kosher Salt & Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
For the Balsamic Glaze:
- 2 tsp Butter
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
- 1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Beef Broth
Preparing the Steak:
- Cut the steak into 3-inch wide strips. You can then tenderize the meat with a meat hammer (if you’re using thin strips of sirloin, it doesn’t need any tenderizing). Note: I used London broil, halved and tenderized; however, any lean cut of steak will work.
- Season the steak pieces generously on both sides with salt, pepper, cumin and worcestershire sauce. The addition of cumin gives these steak rolls an enjoyable smoky flavor.
- Allow them to sit in the marinade for at least 30 minutes, a couple of hours is best. While the steak is marinating, start preparing the vegetables that will be used for the filling.
Preparing the Vegetables:
- Chop up the carrots, bell peppers and zucchini into long thin pieces, matchstick like, making sure the pieces are longer than the width of the steak strips. I used a knife to hand make the cuts; however, other options, i.e., a mandolin can be used.
- Thinly slice the onion and toss with the other vegetables and set aside.
To Make the Glaze and Vegetables:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Add the garlic and allow it to cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Be sure not to let the garlic burn.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and beef stock. Stir to mix everything well. Allow the sauce to come to a boil and reduce to almost half its content, about 8-10 minutes. You’ll notice that it gradually begins to thicken, it will have the consistency of honey. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- In the same pan, washing is not necessary, add olive oil and toss in the garlic cloves, allow them to become fragrant. Turn the heat up to high and throw in the carrots, bell peppers, zucchini and onion. Sauté the vegetables for about 2-3 minutes.
- Season them with salt and pepper and transfer the vegetables to a bowl.
To Assemble and Cook the Steak Rolls:
- Take a strip of the marinated steak and lay it with the short side towards you. Place the veggies in the middle and roll the beef up over the filling, securing it with kitchen twine or a toothpick. Repeat the same with the other rolls.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tbsp of oil to coat the bottom. When hot, add beef rolls, seam side down, not touching and pan fry for a couple minutes. Turn the rolls to brown them on all sides in the same manner. Cook until the rolls have reached your desired temperature.
- These rolls can also be grilled to your desired temperature.
- Remove the kitchen twine or toothpick and serve with the balsamic glaze sauce spooned over the top of each roll.
Recipe for Steak Rolls adapted from Picture the Recipe!