And just like that, it’s a new month and a new season is not too far. Fall is my favorite season, for no reason other than the great pumpkin takeover! Food Monster allegedly, there’s one of those legal words, detests pumpkin flavored goods, but that doesn’t stop him from eating a healthy dose. It makes for fun times when I want to make pumpkin EVERYTHING. Cooler weather and the changing colors of leaves are appealing too!
Before fall is officially here, I wanted to grace your eyes, homes and stomachs with one more grilling season meal – BRUSCHETTA, “Bru-Sketta,” STYLE GRILLED LAMB! I sorely “mis-underestimated” (my favorite Bushism), the heat yesterday. I thought it was a tad bit cooler than it was, but once I got the grill going and made several trips in and out of the house, I quickly had another perspective. Luckily, dinner was completely worth the sweaty struggle.
Bruschetta, formally pronounced “bru-sketta,” is an Italian appetizer that generally involves grilled bread brushed with garlic and olive oil, and more times than not, in the great U.S. of A., a topping consisting of tomatoes, onion, mozzarella, and herbs.
Now that the history lesson is out of the way, and probably more than you wanted to know, let’s move on to the methods for cooking this “Bru-Sketta” Style Grilled Lamb. Please know, this bru-sketta topping will pair with most meats, specifically, chicken, beef or pork. You could also use the traditional methods of topping grilled bread with any leftover mixture.
I swear up and down by my charcoal grill, but the meat can be cooked on a gas grill, OR if you decide to be a rebel and cook this dish during the fall and winter, <<<<—— don’t be embarrassed, this is totally me, you can seer the meat on the stove and melt the cheese under the broiler.
I served the Bru-Sketta Style Grilled Lamb over Ciantro Lime Rice, but other sides and pairings will work just as well.
“Bru-Sketta” Style Grilled Lamb
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Lamb (or meat of your choice):
- 4 Lamb Chops (or meat of your choice)
- 1 Cup of Mozzarella, shredded (or Fresh Mozzarella, thinly sliced)
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 Firm Tomatoes, diced
- 4 Cloves of Minced Garlic
- ½ Large Red Onion
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 ½ Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 10 Fresh Basil Leaves, diced
- 4 Pieces of Bacon, cooked, diced and divided
Instructions for “Bru-Sketta”: Toss tomatoes, red onion, garlic, basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, ½ of bacon, and salt, set aside.
Instructions for Lamb (or meat of your choice):
1. Heat grill to medium-high.
2. Coat lamb, or meat of choice, with olive oil, salt and pepper on both sides and allow it to sit for 30 minutes.
3. Grill for 4 minutes on each side, as soon as you flip the meat, top with cheese and allow it to melt before removing meat from the grill.
4. Remove from grill and allow meat to rest for 10 minutes.
5. Top meat with a hefty spoonful of Bru-Sktetta, extra bacon and drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
© 2016 Biscuits & Savvy